Michigan Scholarships and Grants

Congratulations High School Seniors! Here’s hoping you are enjoying your Senior Year and all the wonderful things it has to offer. It’s certainly a busy time, full of activity – with friends, applying to college, special activities – but, stop for a minute and take a deep breath. Who can’t use a little financial help when it comes to setting out for college? We’ve gathered a few opportunities you might be interested in. However, if you don’t find anything here, don’t stop. Go talk to your high school guidance counselor and find out what else is out there. Best of luck as you set out on the next big stage of your journey – college!!!

American Legion Auxiliary Medical Career

Do you have your heart set on becoming a nurse, a physical therapist, or a respiratory therapist? If you are a high school senior and live in Michigan, and, if you are the child, grandchild, or great-grandchild of an honorably or deceased veteran of the U.S. military, you might be eligible for this scholarship. You do have to provide proof of need for financial assistance. Your grades count, too, and must be excellent to qualify. Other requirements include letters of recommendation, transcript, proof of eligibility, FAFSA (see above ‘note’ for full details) or income tax form. This award is for $500 and can be used in Michigan schools during your freshman year. For more info, check out www.michalaux.org.

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

Grants differ from some scholarships and all loans in one very important way – they never have to be repaid. This one is renewable and is intended for use for undergraduate study by a dependent of a disabled or deceased U.S. military veteran. You must be a high school senior and resident of Michigan to qualify. Award amounts range up to $2,800. For information on how to apply, check out the Michigan Student Financial Services Bureau website at www.michigan.gov/osg.

Michigan Robert C. Byrd Honors

You have worked hard and have demonstrated consistently high scholastic achievement! Now, because of all your hard work, you may qualify for this prestigious scholarship. You must be a state resident and a high school senior to apply, and you must be nominated by your high school principal. This award is renewable for up to four years, with an initial amount of $1,500 per year. If you think you qualify for this scholarship, contact your high school guidance counselor. For more details go to www.michigan.gov/osg.

Michigan Competitive

If you can demonstrate your need for financial assistance in order to continue your education, this scholarship may be the answer to your questions. You must be a state resident and high school senior. Funds may be used for undergrad studies at designated Michigan schools. To begin, complete the free on-line FAFSA application (details on page 1). You will need the results of that application, along with your ACT scores, in order to apply for the scholarship. Award amounts range from $100 to $510. For details contact the Michigan Student Financial Services Bureau at their website – www.michigan.gov/osg.

Michigan Tuition Grant

The Michigan Tuition Grant program is available to undergraduate Michigan residents with financial need who plan to attend or are attending independent, degree-granting Michigan postsecondary institutions. Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Awards are restricted to tuition and mandatory fees. Awards pay up to a maximum of $1,610 per academic year. For additional information, go to www.michigan.gov/osg.

Tuition Incentive Program

The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) is an incentive program that encourages eligible students to complete high school by providing tuition assistance for the first two years of college and beyond. To meet the financial eligibility requirement, a student must have (or have had) Medicaid coverage for 24 months within a 36-consecutive-month period as identified by the Michigan Department of Human Services (DHS). Identified students are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) even though it is not necessary for establishing TIP eligibility. By filing the FAFSA, students will be considered for other federal and state financial aid programs and, if eligible, can use those additional funds to cover other educational expenses such as books, supplies, transportation, or room and board. For detailed information, go to www.michigan.gov/osg.